Things you can do when people are singing “Happy Birthday” to you:
- Smile and look at the floor, your hands, everyone in the room, the walls, the cake…
- Sing along, it’s your day, you can do whatever you want.
- Begin to walk away slowly until everyone is so confused they stop singing altogether.
- Stare blankly at the person who suggested everyone sing and plot their demise in your head.
- Find your pet and start playing with them.
- Sit in the middle of the floor quietly.
- Close your eyes, if you can’t see them, they can’t see you.
- Smile awkwardly. (The option most of us opt for every year).
No, but seriously, I turned 20 a few days ago and had no idea what to do other than stand awkwardly counting down the seconds for everyone to finish singing.